Girls Room Remodel (Test blog post with pictures!)

I am not new to blogging but I am new to blogging with pictures. So bear with me as I stumble through the first few posts, learning the ins and outs of this! As a test run I will go ahead and show you the work I did on my daughters’ room. We were in a rush to pick paints and get the old sooty house covered in fresh paint when the whole remodel process began. I knew I wanted some sort of green for their room. Winters are terribly long here and the more summer we can keep in our home the better! But, when we painted the room it somehow wasn’t quite the shade I had been dreaming about. I am not about to repaint the whole thing so I have been taking steps to brighten it up a bit.

Image

After the paint job. It looks better than soot-covered walls but it was a bit overwhelming.

Image

The first step was to make curtains. I retrieved all of the white sheets I had in my fabric stash and began sewing a lot of ruffles. This was an excellent opportunity to use up vintage thread I had been hoarding. I edged all the hems with 5 vibrant colors to give the plain white some interest.

Image

There were so many ruffles. I discovered the fastest way to attach them to the base layer was to hand tuck them. The gathering with the bobbin thread wasn’t working for this amount of fabric!

Image

But it was worth it in the end. They are gorgeous and add the perfect amount of privacy and muted light for the windows.

Image

The next step was to paint the furniture. Sadly I did not take “before” photos so you will only see some WIP and “after” photos. This dresser was given to us and was a pretty major eyesore. After sanding and a base coat of Ultra White, it looked worlds better.

Image

I lined the drawers up and painted a grassy, flowery sort of scene. Had I thought it over beforehand, I would have left 1 1/2″ spaces between them to account for the space once the dresser was assembled. As a result, the whole scene is a bit messed up but my girls love it regardless.

Image

As a side thought I sketched out a fun swirly design and painted it on a little play table.

Image

Tada! It still needs some sort of cloth around the edge because the rest of the table is really hideous.

Image

I then sanded and painted their bookshelf to match their dresser. I actually took WIP photos of this one. So enjoy!

Image

Image

Image

I did a whole page of tiny house sketches to figure out what would go on the bookshelf. This happened at 2am. I am amazed at what I can come up with at 2am. Some of my best papers in college were written at 2am. hehe.

Image

A teeny house to discover behind the books!

Image

The finished product, minus the shelf in the middle.

That is all of the photos and progress I have made on the girls room so far. I hope you all enjoyed my first blog post…with photos. Have a great Sunday!

-Clara J. Teixeira

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Girls Room Remodel (Test blog post with pictures!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s