The Gem Under The Ferns

Some paintings seem to have a rough journey to completion. This one was up there with some of the toughest I’ve ever attempted. Here is part one of a poorly planned painting gone wrong:

I should stress that the poor planning was completely on my part! My client chose a very adorable sketch that I had quickly done up of a fawn hiding under some ferns. I didn’t give a lot of thought in choosing actual colors and perspective before I dived in. But dive in I did.

Background was hurriedly painted and I drew the outline of the fawn.


Then I thought, “It is a forest scene so it needs a stump.” So slap on a stump I did. It was horrendous and huge!

*Please ignore the clutter behind my easel. I have little kids…’nuff said.)


Then I thought to myself, “This stump needs moss.” By then I was so horrified at how awful it looked I wiped it all off!


At this point I realized it would never work… the way the fawn was positioned, the weird little tree in the distance, the massive empty space at the bottom of the canvas. So I sent my client a photo and she agreed with me! I waited for it to dry well and then sanded the whole thing down and started over.

And so began part two of trial and error:


I very carefully made a new sketch to the exact dimensions of the canvas. I used math people!


The new background. Pretty boring and bland…as it should have been.


A bigger fawn with bigger ears and bigger eyes. It took four tries for me to get it in the right position on the canvas! I used math again…. it was awful.


Finally things fell into place and I finished the rest in two painting sessions.




At this point my client was pleased and I was over the feeling of doom!


The finished piece! Perseverance, encouragement from a dear friend, experimenting, and a whole lot of patience and studying made it work out in the end. And now I can’t wait to tackle my next piece!

I am currently at an art & craft retreat and so excited for some kid free time to immerse myself in something.

Have a great weekend!


“I Have Found The One Whom My Soul Loves…”

I’ll let the photos do the storytelling tonight. This was a custom order for a wedding gift. Very enjoyable to paint!








Another one coming soon. 🙂

Garden Produce, Kittens, & A New Season.

Despite having been done with my summer job for a few weeks now I haven’t been able to find a lot of extra time to mess around with editing pictures and writing pretty blog posts! But that is changing now. I still sketch and paint on a daily…no make that weekly…oh wait, maybe monthly basis. Hmmm. Well you get the picture.

Some of the culprits behind my slacking in the creativity department have included taking in a rescued mother cat with 5 little rambunctious kittens. So I spend a lot of time staring in awe and letting my heart just melt to pieces at sights like this:


And then there is the changing of the seasons and harvest suddenly having arrived. I have been cutting, blanching, freezing, and dehydrating tasty garden delights like a mad woman for the past two weeks.

But I have carved out some time to do artsy things. I discovered an original painting on canvas board that I pulled out of a heap of mass produced “Bless Our Home” wall hangings at the local consignment shop. I am thrilled to have it hanging on my wall! I love original works by other artists but can’t really afford to buy a lot. This winter scene is so peaceful:


I have also hurriedly scratched out a few sketches (cheesy lettering included):




And believe it or not, I have even completed another acrylic painting! On canvas. Not a few smears in one of my sketchbooks. Imagine that! Here’s a sneak peek for proof:


Ok, that’s not really “proof” but there is a brush, dipped in paint. Paint that has been smeared and mixed! Tune in tomorrow to see how this paint was applied to canvas to create what sort of painting…