The Gem Under The Ferns

Some paintings seem to have a rough journey to completion. This one was up there with some of the toughest I’ve ever attempted. Here is part one of a poorly planned painting gone wrong:

I should stress that the poor planning was completely on my part! My client chose a very adorable sketch that I had quickly done up of a fawn hiding under some ferns. I didn’t give a lot of thought in choosing actual colors and perspective before I dived in. But dive in I did.
20140909_215942

Background was hurriedly painted and I drew the outline of the fawn.

20140909_225021

Then I thought, “It is a forest scene so it needs a stump.” So slap on a stump I did. It was horrendous and huge!

*Please ignore the clutter behind my easel. I have little kids…’nuff said.)

20140909_230112

Then I thought to myself, “This stump needs moss.” By then I was so horrified at how awful it looked I wiped it all off!

20140909_233725

At this point I realized it would never work… the way the fawn was positioned, the weird little tree in the distance, the massive empty space at the bottom of the canvas. So I sent my client a photo and she agreed with me! I waited for it to dry well and then sanded the whole thing down and started over.

And so began part two of trial and error:

20140914_175927

I very carefully made a new sketch to the exact dimensions of the canvas. I used math people!

20140914_180401-1

The new background. Pretty boring and bland…as it should have been.

20140914_230522

A bigger fawn with bigger ears and bigger eyes. It took four tries for me to get it in the right position on the canvas! I used math again…. it was awful.

20140915_003702

Finally things fell into place and I finished the rest in two painting sessions.

20140918_211340-1

20140918_212223

20140918_230226-1

At this point my client was pleased and I was over the feeling of doom!

20140918_234141-1

The finished piece! Perseverance, encouragement from a dear friend, experimenting, and a whole lot of patience and studying made it work out in the end. And now I can’t wait to tackle my next piece!

I am currently at an art & craft retreat and so excited for some kid free time to immerse myself in something.

Have a great weekend!

A Quick Painting for My Kitchen

coffee

I wanted something new to add to my kitchen. I have been attempting to decorate it in a Café/Coffeehouse theme. This was a spur-of-the-moment sort of painting I did one night at about 1am when I got bored with ironing.

(Yes, I keep terrible hours at night but with 3 babies in 3.5 years and 2.5 years of college at the same time, I think it ruined my ability to sleep decent hours ever again!)

A Special Request for a Little Princess.

A few months ago, an acquaintance of mine approached me with a question. “Could you paint this for my daughter’s room?” I was delighted to have a great excuse to sneak down to my basement studio late at night to paint as well as be paid for it!

It was to be in more of a “cartoonish” style (I really don’t know how else to describe it) and the things that had to be included were a crown with her name on it and a quote with a verse reference. After a few sketches I got to work:

WIP princess

WIP princess 3

WIP: It was so much fun to paint this princess dress and little blue bird.

WIP princess 4

The final product. She loved it and it was so rewarding to see the smile it brought!

Doing pieces for other people the way they would like it done has been a completely new kind of challenge. So far I absolutely love it and am excited to do more in the future!